Saturday 13 November 2010

Prick of the conscience

Here in Doha the summer with hot and humid weather in its train is departing and the winter is scheduled to arrive at any time. The other day when  I woke up at around 3 a.m., I thought I would to go for a morning walk though it was too early. When I began to wear my so called track suite, my better-half said “ It is still dark honey , where are you heading?”. “ It is OK my darling let me try, don’t worry, be happy”, I assured her and walked away wishing her sweet dreams.
The sky was cloudless though there were slight showers accompanied by thunderbolts the other night , a very rare phenomenon in a country like Qatar. A young man was crossing the road with a heavy load of newspapers and magazines on his bicycle . I have very often wondered about the safety of these poor workers on bicycles in the midst traffic congestion and crazy drivers especially since the same newspapers had carried recently the story of their Indian proof reader, hit and killed by a hasty driver while  he was crossing the road.

In Doha corniche one can walk comfortably and enjoy the incredible colour of the bay in the day. When I began to walk, the blowing breeze unearthed a series of events that were buried deep in my memory. It seemed to me that they were waiting in a row to be released from their mandatory internment. ; the very old ship that I boarded in June 1976 from Bombay to Doha , the nausea that the smell of sea caused in me ,the seagulls that swallowed small fishes, the long fish that struggled on the hook of one of the crew engaged in sea angling, the awe that boundless sea invoked in me, the happiness that dolphins and other large fishes jumping up in the air gave me, the man whom I saw jailed in a narrow room in the ship for trying to board the ship illegally, the ship’s stopover in Dubai port after six days , the man whom I saw dancing in joy in a boat in Dubai port , the ship’s arrival after seven days in Doha , some of my evenings in this seacoast to enjoy one of the region’s superb sunsets, the reveries that such a sight sparked in me, the hope that the air crafts departing from Doha International airport gave me and the last but not the least the letter I wrote to my close friend Abdul Latheef living in India to the effect that the blue sky was far away quoting from a  melodious Malayalam song sung by Yesudas" Akale..... Neelaakashsam" (blue sky is so remote  )in the sense I had miles to go.

While returning home I stopped for while to look at the cat lying dead on the road side. I was apparent it was  hit by a driver a few minutes ago . The dead cat still disturbs my mind . One can understand if  it is a rare phenomenon on the streets of Doha.Cats were imported into Qatar in eighties to control rats.  Now a days rats are seldom seen .  Drivers do not stop their vehicles when they see a cat crossing the road. Though I try to console my conscience on the pretext that we are living in an age in which human beings do not care even for their fellow being’s life, needless to say about animal lives, my conscience commands me to refrain from rationalizing such offenders..

By the Father




No comments:

Post a Comment