Saturday 3 July 2010

A New Start

I still remember the day I came for admission. It was raining cats and dogs that Jan Shadabdi(train) was leaking. I had to keep my heavy luggage on my lap to prevent it from getting wet. Everyone had to do the same. A chaotic atmosphere in the train. The mother sitting beside me was yelling at her son to keep him away from the window. But he was more interested in soaking himself in the rain. Even though it was trouble, no one complained as the rain came in the midst of the hot summer.

As I am hailing from coastal area I was not used to the extreme type of wather. Even before coming here I was warned about the climate in Chandigarh. So I took it as a welcome sign from God. I had to spend the next three years of my life in this small yet beautiful union territory.

My day was full of uncertainities .But I had faced such situations many times before. First , my train ticket was with Gunjan, from my batch who was supposed to board the train with me from Delhi. But she was late since she had to visit her relative on the way. All I could do was to wait and hope that she arrives on time.Well I had reached the railway station three hours earlier. So I had a lot of time to wait and hope . I have been a type A personality in medical terms in my whole life. You asknow that this type , they say, tends to have a short life span since they are more prone to coronary artery disease because they are more fussy about perfectionism. I don't mean I make things perfect. I just fit in perfectly .So I was there in Delhi railway station waiting and hoping my friend arrives in time with my ticket .As usual I thought about the options before me.

1. I could wait for my friends. This was very easy under the circumstances .
2. I could take another ticket . Why take the risk . But there was not ticket available and I was out of work for some time and I needed to conserve as much money as possible.
3.I could ask my friend to tell me the ticket number and I could download it from the internet . I soon dropped that idea as i was too tired and my luggage was too heavy to carry and search for an internet .

So back to plan one . WAIT AND HOPE .

To be continued .............

By the eldest son

1 comment: