Friday 19 April 2013

The Satiation

ONION BONANZA

Alas, how gratifying it is  to remain  anonymous  in this world ,  after all one is  nothing other than  a tiny  drop in this vast  ocean of human species


The  sun was yet to rise,  the morning breeze  cool and refreshing, the atmosphere calm and quite.   When  I  started  driving ,  I discovered  that the trees on both sides of the road had borne beautiful yellow flowers and wondered  why I failed to notice them  earlier . Did I take them for granted as usual  and thereby deprived my mind of  the peace and tranquility  they afford.?  By the time  I reached Doha Central  market, it was  still early morning.  The workers were carrying different items on their trolleys and some of them on their heads or shoulders. There was a comfortable commotion in the market since every one was enjoying what he was doing . For many of them it was their  bread and butter whereas  for the remaining  it was matter of amassing more and more money .
 The  vegetable vendors and fruit merchants  were  arranging and organizing  their items  in  an attractive  manner to woo their customers who   had in  the meantime  begun to throng the market.   I went there very early in the morning   to escape the rush I  was scared of  but there  I was trapped  in the midst of the very same phenomenon I wanted to skip    .  I tried to mingle with  people speaking  different languages   and enjoy   the freshness of   various verities of vegetables, fruits, herbs, leaves  in an attempt  to capture the air of satisfaction  that these inanimate objects  offer  and the “serene and blessed mood” they afforded me with. I mingled with the shoppers  who were choosing the items they wanted and looked for any familiar faces among a them. I know none of them.   Alas, how gratifying it is  to remain  anonymous  in this world ,  after all one is  nothing other than  a tiny  drop in this vast  ocean of human species.  My camera can only take their pictures but can never touch   their spirit. I gazed   at  the green leaves  and vegetables time and again  as their greenery meant some thing to me.
CAULIFLOWER CARPET

TOMATO FEST
Son of a farmer, I   had enjoyed  during my childhood days walking on the  small ridges dividing  the paddy fields. The  folklore songs sung by female workers in those days while planting the rice plants  were simple  and soothing .When the  rice plants moved  in the wind blowing from somewhere I felt that   that they were dancing and   that it was a part of their warm and cordial  welcome to me.  I used  to touch those plants like  a mother patting her child and  they seemed to enjoy my presence.  My father had taught   me that a farmer’s visit to his paddy field  would boost the growth of rice plants and that it was as essential as irrigating  and fertilizing them. 

THE V VIPs
THE ELITE
The fish market was full of life and activity.  The silver like  fresh fish displayed for sale were shining. I  had never fished in troubled waters  but only in fresh waters.  One can brood beyond their flesh.  It  always gives me immense pleasure to watch the fishes moving in our  pond and in  aquariums elsewhere .   While fishing it  was  easy for me to catch  delicious and   very popular  fish in Kerala  known as snakehead by angling when they  move with their fries  as they eat any thing thrown to them  to protect their progeny which were pure red in colour.  But my father had told me not to catch any  snakehead  moving with  its fries since the latter   would perish in the absence of their parents   to protect them  but I have to confess that I had disobeyed him several times in this regard . As a boy my job  was just to catch fish regardless of  the ethics surrounding the issue. In those days  I was too young to understand morals  that  my dad was trying to  advocate and hammer home  to me .  Now when he is no more, “I pine for what is not”. I am glad  that  some of my children have imbibed  such traits from their grandpa . On the eve of  my  eldest son’s marriage,  one of them prevented me from catching the fishes  in our pond  on the ground it was unfair to  kill them  on  such a joyous occasion












 .
While I was returning home, it was raining- very tiny rain drops  were enough to cool one's body and mind. They began to fall like  dew drop falling on the leaves  at dawn.

The Father

No comments:

Post a Comment